What’s Galentine’s Day?
“Oh, it’s only the best day of the year!(Knope, Parks & Rec. S02EP16)”
I know some of you may not be familiar with Galentine’s Day. That’s okay. I only recently discovered it.
Last year I binged on my new forever favorite show Parks and Recreation. The great and powerful Leslie Knope celebrated all her lady friends every year on February 13th.
Leslie says, “February 14th, Valentine’s Day, is about romance, but February 13th, Galentine’s Day, is about celebrating lady friends. It should be a national holiday.”
I totally agree, it SHOULD be a national holiday!
We celebrate Galentine’s Day because our friends are…
…SPECTACULAR, REMARKABLE, EXTRAORDINARY…
To NOT celebrate our Gal Pals means slighting the sparkliest part of life!
Here are TEN reasons to live it up with our lady friends on Galentine’s Day:
- Our girlfriends listen when we talk about all the same things, again and again…
- They plan, dream, and hope for the future with us.
- When those hopes and dreams float away, they help us catch new ones.
- Besties don’t let besties leave the house in a bad outfit.
- Besties love besties even when they leave the house in a bad outfit (or with bad hair).
- They share books, shoes, movies, music, podcasts, hairdressers, job leads, Netflix accounts, recipes, resume’ tips, nail salons, crossfit box, and just about everything! (Sharing is what we do.)
- Gal pals take long drives and sing all the wrong lyrics to only the best songs.
- They call, text, email, social the heck out of the networks to keep in-touch.
- Lady Friends say the nice words to each other. (Encouragement is our thing.)
- Girlfriends support each other’s marriages and celebrate each other’s kids as if they are their own.
- (Bonus) Our spirit friends pray with us or meditate or just sit still with us. They partner with us in search for wisdom as if it was the lost set of keys to the Kingdom!
I know my girlfriends are so very worthy of a pink and sparkly celebration this ❤ Galentine’s Day ❤ !!! Aren’t yours?
So, call, text, evite your friends, sisters, co-workers, mothers, aunts, and neighbors! Plan brunch, lunch, dinner, drinks, or desert for February 13th, Galentine’s Day, and celebrate the incredible women that make your life epic!
And when you do, I want pictures! I am giving away a set of ADORABLE handmade “Forever Friends” cards with stamps included! Send me a pic of your Galentine’s Day gathering or even just a screenshot of you and your best gal pal celebrating your friendship via FaceTime or Google Hangout or Skype or anywhere! Add your pic on Facebook or Instagram on February 13th and tag me for a chance to win these:
❤Thank you, Liz Giertz of My Messy Desk!! Your cards are perfect!❤
…If we don’t talk before then, Happy Galentine’s Day all of you poetic and noble land mermaids(Knope, Parks & Rec.)!
(Find this pic on Etsy here.)